Today is the first monday of the Month which makes it Meme Monday. The assignment for March from SQL Rockstar is:
List out all the little things you do as a DBA, since the term DBA means so many different things in each shop.
I’m more of a Development DBA these days so I’m guessing my list will be quite different. Some of these may be specific to what I am working on now, but I think they are typical of how I spend my days. These are in no order of frequency of importance, but just as they came to mind.
- Figure out how to connect to Oracle DB in SSIS
- Troubleshoot SSIS package using Oracle connection
- Wonder aloud for the 100th time why they decided to put the ODS in Oracle
- Write SSIS packages to load Data Warehouse
- Write SSIS packages to load source data
- Set up partitioning on Data Warehouse Fact tables
- Go to Change Control meetings
- Analyze queries for performance
- Remove Select * from legacy queries that no one will admit they wrote
- Update SSIS package that uses Web service because vendor has “updated” the service
- Rewrite SSIS package that uses Web service because “update” in vendor speak actually means we bought a new program that does this for us.
- Refresh my knowledge of XML to import information from web service
- Go to Design meetings
- Help Troubleshoot production issues with SQL Server
- Read SQL server Blogs
- Work with Architect to design new database objects
- Assist with Migration from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 (to 2012?)
- Go to team meetings
- Write conditional DDL scripts to add new database objects.
- Investigate “data is wrong” issues
- Play Settlers of Catan (We have a weekly game.)
I know it doesn’t sound too glamorous, but for the most part I enjoy figuring these things out. I could do with less meetings, but I’m guessing that is a universal tuth.